As a doctor working for Médecins Sans Frontières you may be responding to a measles or meningitis epidemic, assessing medical needs after a natural disaster, treating HIV/AIDS or TB patients or treating survivors of armed conflict.
Your clinical skills and resourcefulness will be put to the test while you work in locations where the health care infrastructure may have completely fallen apart, or while you work to diagnose and treat medical conditions not found in Australia and New Zealand. Your managerial and administration skills will be called upon as you supervise large teams of local staff. You will not be facing these challenges alone - Médecins Sans Frontières provides expert technical support including extensive guidelines and protocols.
- Compliance with Essential Criteria for all potential Field Workers
- Minimum of three years experience post-qualification, ie have started PGY4 (applications submitted prior to completion of PGY3 are not accepted)
- Clinical experience in areas such as Public Health, Obstetrics/Gynaecology, Paediatrics, Nutrition, Emergency, Infectious Diseases (STDs, HIV/AIDS, TB), General Medicine, Anaesthetics, ICU or Minor Surgery
- Doctors who are bilingual in French/English or Spanish/English
- Available to work infield for a minimum of 9 months*
- People with a medical background must display no recent gap in clinical experience greater than two years
- 5+ years work experience post-qualification
- Post graduate study in international public health, refugee health, infectious diseases (especially TB and HIV/AIDS) or tropical medicine
- Diploma in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Completion of your specialty training is not mandatory before applying however Médecins Sans Frontières does have significant needs for:
- Infectious Diseases specialists (HIV/TB in particular)
* Paediatricians and Doctors with Paediatric Experience may be considered for in-field placements of six months. Please indicate your level of paediatric experience in your application to be considered for this.
- The following Colleges may accredit time in the field, in specific situations and under certain conditions/criteria. Please contact the relevant College for more information.
- The Royal Australian College of Physicians
- The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
- The Australasian College for Emergency Medicine
- The nature of our work means that emergency doctors are often needed in very challenging, potentially high security contexts. If you are an emergency doctor, please keep this in mind.
- Psychiatrists are encouraged to visit the Mental Health Specialists page.
All Australian and New Zealand field worker applications are processed through our Sydney office.
Ready to apply
Please view the Essential Criteria for all profiles.
If you are ready to apply you can start an application using the link below. Allow approximately 1 hour and please have ready your CV and motivation letter.
If you’re not yet ready to apply, use the link below to register to receive updates from our Field Human Resources team including information on upcoming recruitment events.