The Intensivist Medical Doctor (MD) is a clinical leader for a group of Intensivists and general doctors working in the ICU and providing consultation in other areas of the hospital.
In some of our contexts you could be asked to work in Emergency Medicine (EM) setting/ service, where your Intensivist knowledge could be used to perform and improve health care.
As an Intensivist MD you supervise the care provided in a closed-unit model ICU, with ability of HFNC, NIV, and mechanical ventilation and/or possibly supervise EM teams.
You ensure that intensive care and EM medical activities for COVID-19 are implemented according to MSF policies, protocols, and universal hygiene standards.
Finally, you increase the knowledge and practical skills of the ICU/ EM staff through on the job training and knowledge transfer to ensure quality care is provided to the patients.
- Specialist certification in Intensive Care / Critical Care or equivalent.
- Level 3 ICU specialists/consultants with an ICU diploma/specialisation and a minimum of 1 year experience post Fellowship are needed and much sought after. ICU specialists work as consultants and go for a minimum of 6-8 weeks effective in the field and up to 4 months.*
- Level 2 Medical Doctors with advanced ICU skills and knowledge plus ED skills or anaesthetists are needed for a minimum of 6-8 weeks and up to 4 months.*
- Level 1 Medical Doctors on the ICU training pathway (you apply to MSF as an MD with skills in ICU) require availability for a 9-month placement.
- People with a medical background must display no recent gap in clinical experience greater than two years.
*Although the situation with Covid_19 has improved, some countries might still have difficulties with flight availability as well as quarantine requirements. This means you may need to be flexible with travelling time – in effect it is likely Level 2 and Level 3 field workers would need to add potential travelling and quarantine time to the 6-week minimum.
- Availability to work overseas for 4+ months (Level 1 and Level 2)*
- Knowledge of French or Spanish, or willing to learn. Other languages including Portuguese, Russian or Arabic are an asset.
The essential criteria is an overview of the minimum requirements for international staff (in addition to the profile requirements above). Please note, these can change without prior notice in response to organisational needs. To work overseas with MSF, every applicant must meet the following requirements: