As an emergency doctor working for Médecins Sans Frontières you may be responding to and assessing medical needs after a natural disaster, treating survivors of armed conflict, or training local teams on responding to a mass casualty event.
Your clinical skills and resourcefulness will be put to the test while you work in locations where the health care infrastructure may have completely fallen apart, or while you work to diagnose and treat medical conditions not found in Australia and New Zealand. Your managerial and administration skills will be called upon as you supervise large teams of local staff and manage busy emergency departments. You will not be facing these challenges alone - Médecins Sans Frontières provides expert technical support including extensive guidelines and protocols.
- Compliance with Essential Criteria for all potential Field Workers
- Emergency Medicine Specialist who has completed training in an accredited emergency medicine specialty training program – or
- Emergency medicine doctor who functions at the level of an emergency medicine specialist (e.g., if from a country where emergency medicine is not a specialty or trained before it became a specialty).
- Experience managing an emergency department (patient flow, triage, teamwork approach to patient resuscitation), paediatric emergencies, trauma patients (resuscitation, multiple injuries, multiple patients concurrently, fracture reduction/splinting, etc), mass casualty incidents, patients in shock and applicable use of point-of-care ultrasound
- Ability to supervise and lead the emergency department
- Available to work in the field for 6 weeks (effective in the field) to 4 months
- Clinical experience in areas such as Paediatrics, Anaesthetics, Critical Care, Obstetrics/Gynaecology, Minor Surgery
- French language
Please note if you are a doctor with ER skills and experience but not a specialist you need to apply as a medical doctor.
The Australasian College for Emergency Medicine may accredit time in the field, in specific situations and under certain conditions/criteria. Please contact ACEM for more information.
The nature of our work means that emergency doctors are often needed in very challenging, potentially high security contexts. If you are an emergency doctor, please keep this in mind.
All Australian and New Zealand field worker applications are processed through our Sydney office.