Anaesthetists are required for the increasing number of surgical projects that Médecins Sans Frontières manages around the world. To work with us in this capacity, you need the flexibility to work with limited resources and face a variety of challenges that may range from trauma patients to women requiring emergency caesarian sections.
In addition to in-theatre work, your responsibilities will include pre-operative assessment and resuscitation, and post-operative care (including pain management). You will also be involved in the supervision of national staff working in recovery room and the wards.
Be prepared for the fact that diagnostic equipment and facilities in the operating theatre will be limited – there may not even be an X-ray machine.
- Compliance with Essential Criteria for all potential Field Workers
- Certified anaesthetist / Fellow of Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists (or equivalent)
- Experience in paediatrics, obstetrics, and trauma anaesthesia
- Ability to work autonomously with limited materials and resources
- Willingness to abide by Médecins Sans Frontières anaesthetic protocols
- Available to work in the field for 6-8 weeks (effective in the field) to 4 months
- People with a medical background must display no recent gap in clinical experience greater than two years
- Available at short notice (in emergencies we may need anaesthetists to leave within 24 to 48 hours)
- Medical experience outside anaesthetics (eg ICU, emergency, pain specialization, paediatrics, and internal medicine)
A NOTE REGARDING AVAILABILITY & NOTICE PERIODS
Due to the emergency nature of many of our projects, anaesthetists are often needed at very short notice. However for some longer-term projects it may be possible to confirm a placement well in advance. If you are genuinely interested to work with us but have concerns regarding the period of notice you may require, we encourage you to apply. Your individual circumstances can be discussed as part of the interview process.
LEARN MORE ABOUT ANAESTHESIOLOGY IN OUR SURGICAL PROJECTS
For more detailed information on our surgical projects, policies and other resources, visit our site dedicated to anaesthesia in relation to field surgery.
All Australian and New Zealand field worker applications are processed through our Sydney office.
Ready to apply
Please view the Essential Criteria for all profiles.
Please submit your CV in this template.
If you are ready to apply you can start an application using the link below. Allow approximately 1 hour and please have ready your CV and motivation letter.
If you’re not yet ready to apply, use the link below to register to receive updates from our Field Human Resources team including information on upcoming recruitment events.