- Certified anaesthetist / Fellow of Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists (or equivalent)
- Experience in paediatrics, obstetrics, and trauma anaesthesia
- Ability to work autonomously with limited materials and resources
- Willingness to abide by Médecins Sans Frontières anaesthetic protocols
- No recent gap in clinical experience greater than two years
- Available to work in overseas for 6-8 weeks, or at least 4 months
Due to the emergency nature of many of our projects, anaesthetists are often needed at very short notice. However for some longer-term projects it may be possible to confirm a placement well in advance. If you are genuinely interested to work with us but have concerns regarding the period of notice you may require, we encourage you to apply. Your individual circumstances can be discussed as part of the interview process.
- Available at short notice (in emergencies we may need anaesthetists to leave within 24 to 48 hours)
- Medical experience outside anaesthetics (e.g. ICU, emergency, pain specialization, paediatrics, and internal medicine)
The essential criteria is an overview of the minimum requirements for international staff (in addition to the profile requirements above). Please note, these can change without prior notice in response to organisational needs. To work overseas with MSF, every applicant must meet the following requirements:
The ability to work and live in multicultural and multidisciplinary teams in contexts that are often complex, unstable and isolated, requiring strict respect for the local culture, teams and security rules in force.
Clinical/working experience in environments with limited human resources, materials and equipment. Access to electricity can be unreliable, running water may not be available, medical and other equipment may be in short supply and computer systems may be basic.
Most assignments will involve supervision or management of teams and will require experience in: capacity building, training, planning and administration and performance management.
Adhere to the MSF Charter and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment.
Committment for 2+ assignments. We are looking for people that want to commit to multiple assignments and a long-term career in humanitarian aid. Hiring and training an employee is a major investment for MSF and we want to hire international staff who want to grow within the organisation.
Many MSF projects are located in or near conflict areas. The environment is often chaotic and you will face various challenges. International staff must be able to cope with stress in a difficult and unpredictable environment.
Contexts, environments, team composition can change quickly. Flexibility and adaptability are critical for a successful MSF assignment.
MSF assignments are demanding and every staff member must be able to manage their responsibilities and workload in a professional manner, with minimum direction.
Knowledge of French or Spanish, or willing to learn. Other languages including Portuguese, Russian or Arabic are an asset.
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
Please apply if your skills and experience match the profile requirements and essential criteria above. Note: all Australian and New Zealand applications are processed through our Sydney office.
Allow approximately 1 hour to complete to application. Before starting the application, please prepare the following:
- Motivation letter
- Technical CV for skills assessment (below)
LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS PROFILE
- Visit our dedicated side for anaesthesia for more information on surgerical profiles, policies and resources.
- Watch the video below on Brigid Brown, a regional MSF anaesthetist to hear about life on assignment.
- To learn about living allowances for international staff, visit salary, benefits and opportunities.
If you’re not yet ready to apply, you can stay up-to-date by registering for recruitment updates and our upcoming events.